Sign in to follow this  
zero02mmx

Which OS do you use for gaming?

Hi folks,

Just wanted to know in which operating system you do your gaming on.

Personally, I do all my gaming on my 8-year old Windows 7 machine... But I will have to upgrade to a newer machine, soon. But as Intel Skylake and older processors, as well AMD Bobcat (Jaguar/Puma) and Bulldozer processors are almost gone from the shelves here, looks like I'll have no choice but to go Windows 10.

Hope to hear from y'all. Cheers!

At the moment I'm using a windows 10 computer!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nessie said:

At the moment I'm using a windows 10 computer!

Hey Nessie, you running Win10 on updated hardware or so? Win10 was the older hardware's nightmare (even my elder bro's laptop suffered for it). How's compatibility with your older games, including but not limited to LifeTO?

• Like 1

i was a bit worried upgrading to windows 10 (i kept windows 7 before) on my imac but it oddly enough runs windows 10 faster than my newer HP windows box lol

i used my 10 year old gateway fx gaming rig before but the hard drive and graphics card finally died (graphics card was ATI and always had compatibility issues even if it was a high end card). I felt i got my investment out of the hardware given how long it lasted (and stayed relevant to game on). it ran windows 7 perfectly but had nothing but issues with windows 10. i ended up going back to 7 before the HD died on me.

I tend to play smaller scale games on my mac OS side and larger on my windows side, if a mac version of the game exists. its still hit and miss... EG: sims 4 runs smooth on mac, sims 3 is a mess but smooth on windows 10. luckily i have yet to have any issue with windows 10 and my legacy mmo's i play. trickster, luna online, phantasy star online all play as smooth as ever, though i find windows 10 has issues with bluetooth controllers/mouses, at least on macs... strange enough a game still in service officially, maplestory, gives me problems on windows 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zero02mmx said:

Hey Nessie, you running Win10 on updated hardware or so? Win10 was the older hardware's nightmare (even my elder bro's laptop suffered for it). How's compatibility with your older games, including but not limited to LifeTO?

Well, when I bought my new computer I didn't really have an option to get with or without windows 10 but I haven't really had many issues!

• Like 1

Windows 10, no issues on my laptop or my tower when it comes to legacy games unless we go back to like Spy Fox, Putt Putt, Freddie Fish. Sometimes I get errors with those. 

I think Win10 isn't as scary as 8 was. Actually might not be a bad upgrade from 7. You kinda get used to stuff, turn off cortana if you don't use her. Look up how to actually turn off automatic updates if those inconvenient shut downs bother you. One of the benefits of 10 vs 7 is that you can use PS4 Remote Play. Totally random but just throwing out info that might benefit someone.

Edited by therolyte
  • Like 2

I'm still using Windows 7 (I got trust issues with W10). 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sky said:

I'm still using Windows 7 (I got trust issues with W10). 

We share the exact concern, my friend. But screw it... Intel's phasing out Skylake, and AMD's shying away from its processor families not having the name Ryzen. Too bad the new processors from manufacturers are only compatible with Windows 10 (ouch). :sobbing:

On 4/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, zero02mmx said:

We share the exact concern, my friend. But screw it... Intel's phasing out Skylake, and AMD's shying away from its processor families not having the name Ryzen. Too bad the new processors from manufacturers are only compatible with Windows 10 (ouch). :sobbing:

Wah... same sentiments. :decline: I hope they release a W7 SE that works well with modern processors.

I've never really had any major problems with the newer windows, I even liked windows 8 (not at first because im very prone to absorbing public opinion ;_;) but I eventually came to love the weird metro junk and customized it to fit me.

Overall I've noticed very little problems using windows 10 on my laptop, and my gaming rig:heart:

On 4/25/2018 at 5:42 PM, therolyte said:

Windows 10, no issues on my laptop or my tower when it comes to legacy games unless we go back to like Spy Fox, Putt Putt, Freddie Fish. Sometimes I get errors with those. 

I think Win10 isn't as scary as 8 was. Actually might not be a bad upgrade from 7. You kinda get used to stuff, turn off cortana if you don't use her. Look up how to actually turn off automatic updates if those inconvenient shut downs bother you. One of the benefits of 10 vs 7 is that you can use PS4 Remote Play. Totally random but just throwing out info that might benefit someone.

omg ps4 remotes work natively with windows 10? i remember using some sketchy programs back in windows 7 tryna connect my ps3 controller to my pc.

9 hours ago, Butler said:

omg ps4 remotes work natively with windows 10? i remember using some sketchy programs back in windows 7 tryna connect my ps3 controller to my pc.

Yes indeed free program provided by Sony themselves. Connect your ps4 to every darn computer/device in the house! Have a fun time of logging each other off in a stubborn battle of willpower. PS4 Pro users get to experience 1080p while normal PS4s only go up to 720p. Stick a usb cable into your PS4 controller and it works near instantly *in most cases*. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Butler said:

Also I wanted to add that I also remember the old days of shady third party controller mappers. Don't like to double post but I went to the restroom for an emergency and too much time passed to edit. Usually don't have issues now since PS4 and Xbox One controllers are plug and play on windows 10.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 8:31 AM, starmud said:

i was a bit worried upgrading to windows 10 (i kept windows 7 before) on my imac but it oddly enough runs windows 10 faster than my newer HP windows box lol

That is because HP and other companies install bloatware in the OS before shipping out.

My stepfather's laptop should be running fast, but Lenovo install a bunch of crap and some seem to be at kernel level so you can't remove it. Freaking thing is slower than @Sky's desktop LMAO.

-----------------------------------------

I'm under Win10, after Win7 it's the best OS. I'm under Insider Program tho, 1 step ahead of normies LOL. J/K.

Edited by Nirimetus